foobar2000 is an advanced freeware audio player for the Windows platform. Some of the basic features include full unicode support, ReplayGain support and native support for several popular audio formats.
- Powerful open component architecture allowing third-party developers to extend functionality of the player, including the ability to fully replace the user interface.
- Full Unicode support: File names, user interface, tagging, etc.
- ReplayGain support: Both playback and writing ReplayGain information to file tags.
- Gapless playback.
- Advanced tagging capabilities - through built-in Properties dialog and various optional tagging-related components.
- Built-in Media Library functionality.
- Intuitive query syntax for searching the Media Library.
- Autoplaylist support: Generate dynamically updating playlists based on queries.
- Customizable keyboard shortcuts.
- Support for transcoding all supported audio formats using the Converter component (requires external commandline encoder executables for different output formats).
- Secure CD ripping.
- Streaming support.
- Efficient handling of large playlists.
- User interface with simple configuration to create even complex layouts quickly and easily.
- Highly customizable display of track information using title formating scripts.
Supported Audio Formats
Native Support ("out-of-the-box"):
- MP1, MP2, MP3, MP4, Musepack, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC / Ogg FLAC, Speex, WavPack, WAV, AIFF, AU/SND, CDDA, WMA, Matroska.
Supported through optional components:
- TTA, Monkey's Audio, ALAC, MOD, SPC, Shorten, OptimFROG, AC3, DTS, PSF, NSF, XID, XA, MMS, RSTP, TAK, AMR, etc.
In addition, foobar2000 can also play music directly from compressed ZIP and without requiring the user to extract the files prior to playing. More archive formats supported through additional components: JMA, LHA.
foobar2000 has been written for the Windows platform only. Ports to other platforms are not planned. However, several people have had success running foobar2000 on x86 Linux systems by using Wine.
foobar2000 user interface is in English language only. Translations are not supported.
Screenshot of foobar2000 v0.9.5.3 using the default user interface
|| Peter Pawlowski
| Release information
| Initial release
| Stable release
| Preview release
| Operating system
| Additional information
|| Media Player
|| Proprietary, BSD