Winamp 5.8 using the Big Bento skin
|Initial release||April 21, 1997; 23 years ago|
|Stable release||5.666 (December 12, 2013)|
|Preview release||5.8.3660 beta / October 19, 2018|
|Operating system||Windows, macOS, Android|
Winamp is a music player for Windows, macOS and Android, developed by Nullsoft with a feature-reduced freeware edition. The commercial "Pro" version is also available.
The main advantages of Winamp is its ease of use. In addition, it is skinnable, and extensible using plugins. As of version 5.2, it fully supports multi-user (i.e. each user of your computer may have their own skin, playlist, and other settings).
You can download Winamp at winamp.com. While you are there, you might also check their skin library (broken link) and plugin library (broken link). And also check the very useful community (forums) where new plugins are announced and publicly tested, and very minor updates (i.e. 0.001 version increment) are posted.
- Crippled CD burning (~8×)
- Crippled CD ripping (~8×)
- AAC, MP4, FLAC (Flake encoder), WAV, WMA encoding
- Transcoding of the different audio formats
- ReplayGain support
- ReplayGain scanner to apply Album Gain or Track Gain to the tags
- Media library
- Full Unicode support
The Pro version, which can be bought online, comes with some additional features compared to the free version.
- Burn CDs at full speed
- Rip CDs at full speed
- additional MP3 encoding
- Win 2000
- Win XP
- Win Vista with issues
- Playlist Separator – provides a customizable separator line to delimit albums in a long playlist.
- MojoMaster – sexy dancer visualization.