From Hydrogenaudio Knowledgebase
Pono Music is a music "ecosystem" in development. It seeks to create the best listening experience available in any situation and preserve albums as an art form. The company behind it was founded by Neil Young. It is expected to launch in October 2014.
|Source Material||Music Store/Application||Portable Device|
Lossless Audio (FLAC) remastered from the best available original source material at the highest resolution for that source.
- DRM-free Pono albums using FLAC:
- ...are the highest quality recordings available (and could ever be available for older recordings).
- ...can be played in most audio software and by most portable players as-is.
- ...can be converted easily, by the user, to a lossy format and used with any software or portable music player.
- ...remain usable even if Pono Music goes out of business.
- ...are professionally-packaged digital music.
- Expensive to re-buy music, but one's existing music library can be used with the system.
- Music player is triangle shaped.
- SDXC cards use the exFAT filesystem, requiring a license from Microsoft, making support outside of Windows or Mac OSX difficult.
- Pono Music
- ES9018-2M DAC Product Brief
- Pono (digital music service) at Wikipedia
- HDTracks, an existing music store offering lossless DRM-free music