From Hydrogenaudio Knowledgebase
(Redirected from Fraunhofer)
The Fraunhofer Society is a German research organization. The German name is Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft and is often abbreviated FhG. The organization is comprised of several institutes. One in particular, Fraunhofer IIS, has had a significant role in the development of digital audio technologies.
Fraunhofer collects patent license fees on MP3 and AAC codecs.
Fraunhofer IIS Codecs
- FhG MP3, a licensed MP3 encoder included in Winamp
- FhG AAC, a licensed AAC encoder included in Winamp
- Optimized for encoding music on desktop-class processors using floating-point math
- Not open source
- Fraunhofer FDK AAC, included in Android
- Optimized for low-delay encoding of real-time communication on embedded systems/mobile phones, using fixed-point math
- Source code available as part of the Android Open Source Project
- Fraunhofer Society at Wikipedia