Modern Winamp skin
This article is a stub. You can help the Hydrogenaudio Knowledgebase by expanding it.
Winamp is a free music player for Windows developed by Nullsoft. A commercial "Pro" version is also available.
The main advantages of Winamp is its ease of use. In addition, it is skinnable, and extensible using plugins. As of version 5.2, it fully supports multi-user (i.e. each user of your computer may have their own skin, playlist, and other settings).
You can download Winamp at http://www.winamp.com/ . While you are there, you might also check their skin library and plugin library. And also check the very useful community (forums) where new plugins are announced and publicly tested, and very minor updates (i.e. 0.001 version increment) are posted.
- Crippled CD burning (~8x)
- Crippled CD ripping (~8x)
- AAC, MP4, FLAC (Flake encoder), WAV, WMA encoding
- Transcoding of the different audio formats
- ReplayGain support
- Media library
- Full Unicode support
- ReplayGain scanner to apply Album Gain or Track Gain to the tags
The Pro version, which can be bought online, comes with some additional features compared to the free version.
- Burn CDs at full speed
- Rip CDs at full speed
- additional MP3 encoding
Directly supported formats (i.e. provided with installer) include: MP1, MP2, MP3, WAV, AAC, WMA, Ogg Vorbis, MIDI, FLAC, and Module
Plugins also exist for many other formats, such as TTA, WavPack and Musepack. Go to Winamp's plugin library to download.
Some recommended plugins
- Playlist Separator - provides a customizable separator line to delimit albums in a long playlist.
- MojoMaster - sexy dancer visualization.