Foobar2000:Version 2.0 Release Notes
Version 2.0 overview
This is a major update introducing new features and functional changes.
- Windows 7 or newer.
- An x86 (Intel/AMD) processor that is less than 20 years old.
- Version for ARM 64-bit will soon be available as well.
Notable new features
- Now available for x86 32-bit (legacy) and x86 64-bit.
- Dark mode support on Windows 10 and 11.
- Entirely new media library engine, backed by SQLite. Improved performance with large libraries.
- Greatly improved performance of all search operations.
- Added album art in Default User Interface playlist view.
- New UI element: ReFacets, reimplementing most of Facets functionality.
- New audio output device management features - unwanted devices can be disabled, bit depth and DSP can be configured per-device.
- More audio formats supported out of the box: TAK, APE, AC3, DTS.
- Rewritten built-in visualisations (VU/peak meters, spectrum, oscilloscope), now using hardware accelerated rendering.
- Added crossfeed DSP from foobar2000 mobile.
For Columns UI users
Some of Default User Interface elements are now available in Columns UI:
- All visualisations
Component features that are now available out of the box
These add-on components are now obsolete as their functionality is available out of the box:
These components previously included with the installer are no longer optional (features always enabled):
Compatibility with old components
Old components mostly work. Decoders should be OK. Some user interface components may suffer from performance issues due to design changes.
New builds of components needed.
Full list of changes
Upgrading from an older version
Just install the new foobar2000 version without uninstalling.
With standard installs, there's no need to backup your profile as foobar2000 v2.0 stores its profile data in a separate folder, importing old profile on first run.
Before reporting bugs...
Please verify that any bugs can be recreated WITHOUT ANY COMPONENTS first. ESPECIALLY without any components that have not yet been specifically updated for foobar2000 v2.0.
Due to design changes, many components will suffer from performance issues until refactored for new the new database system.