Screenshot of foobar2000 v1.0 using the default user interface
|Initial release||December 20, 2002; 21 years ago|
|Stable release||1.6.16 (January 13, 2023)|
|Preview release||2.0 Beta 27 / March 15, 2023|
foobar2000 is an advanced freeware audio player for the Windows platform. Some of the basic features include full Unicode support, ReplayGain support and native support for several popular audio formats.
foobar2000 has been written specifically for the Windows platform, and there are no plans to port it to any others. However, although not officially supported, it is known to run on Linux and Mac OS X through Wine and WineBottler, respectively. Also there is an Arch Linux native package maintained by a community member.
- Powerful open component architecture allowing third-party developers to extend functionality of the player, including the ability to fully replace the user interface.
- Full Unicode support: File names, user interface, tagging, etc.
- ReplayGain support: Both playback and writing ReplayGain information to file tags.
- Gapless playback.
- Advanced tagging capabilities - through built-in Properties dialog and various optional tagging-related components.
- Built-in Media Library functionality.
- Intuitive query syntax for searching the Media Library.
- Autoplaylist support: Generate dynamically updating playlists based on queries.
- Customizable keyboard shortcuts.
- Support for transcoding all supported audio formats using the Converter component (requires external command-line encoder executables for different output formats).
- Secure CD ripping.
- Streaming support.
- Efficient handling of large playlists.
- User interface with simple configuration to create even complex layouts quickly and easily.
- Highly customizable display of track information using title formatting scripts.
Supported audio formats
Natively supported ("out-of-the-box"):
- MP1, MP2, MP3, MP4, Musepack, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC / Ogg FLAC, Speex, WavPack, WAV, AIFF, AU/SND, CDDA, WMA, Matroska, ALAC, MMS, RSTP, Opus, Monkey's Audio, AC3, DTS, TAK.
Supported through optional components:
In addition, foobar2000 can also play audio files within ZIP and RAR archives (typically compressed) directly, i.e. without requiring the user to extract the files first. More archive formats are supported via additional components: LHA/LZH, 7-Zip, JMA
- foobar2000 FAQ on foobar2000.org
- foobar2000 components
- foobar2000 legacy components
- foobar2000 encouraged tag standards
- foobar2000 FAQ (unofficial)
- foobar2000 guides (category)
- foobar2000 preferences (category)
- Tag editing: the Properties dialog
- Query Syntax: details of Syntax for querying metadata.
- Introduction to titleformat scripts
- Titleformat Reference: reference guide to all fields and functions
- Titleformat Examples: user-submitted code for various purposes; submit your own!
- File operations dialog: move, copy, rename, and delete files from within foobar2000
- Commandline usage
- German-language guides
- fb2k Wiki Page for Japanese users.
- Winamp To Foobar Guide with information relevant for general users also.
- ID3 Tag Mapping
- Metadata Compatibility: information about compatibility with metadata written by other applications
- Official IRC Channel: #foobar2000 on Libera Chat
- foobar2000 Forums on hydrogenaudio
- German Support Forum
- Russian-language forum
- Another Russian-language forum
- Default UI .fth thread on hydrogenaudio (fast way to clone another's DUI configuration)
- Columns UI appearance customization guides
- Columns UI configurations on hydrogenaudio
- ↑ Official Foobar2000 site & Foobar2000 0.3 & SDK! on hydrogenaudio
- ↑ Download foobar2000 for Windows on foobar2000.org