foobar2000 is a freeware audio player, and more. Apart from audio playback, it also supports media libraries, file conversion, CD ripping, and many more powerful features.
- Open component architecture allowing third-party developers to extend functionality of the player
- Full Unicode support
- Replaygain support
- Low memory footprint, efficient handling of really large playlists
- Advanced file info processing capabilities (generic file info box and masstagger)
- Highly customizable playlist display
- Customizable keyboard shortcuts
- Gapless playback
- Multiple playlists
- Music library
- Streaming Support
Supported Audio Formats
Native Support ("out-of-the-box"):
- MP1, MP2, MP3, MP4, Musepack, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC / Ogg FLAC, Speex, WavPack, WAV, AIFF, AU, SND, CDDA, WMA.
Supported through plug-ins:
- TTA, Monkey's Audio, ALAC, MOD, SPC, TFMX, Shorten, OptimFROG, LPAC, AC3, DTS, PSF, NSF, XID, XA, Matroska, MMS, RSTP, etc.
In addition, foobar2000 can also play music directly from compressed RAR, ZIP, JMA & LHA archives without requiring the user to extract the files prior to playing.
Foobar2000 has been coded exclusively for the Windows platform with an English interface. The author does not intend to provide alternate language versions nor alternate platform versions. However, several people have had success running foobar2000 on x86 Linux systems by using Wine, although the Columns UI plugin is known to be problematic.
Note All general guides were written for 0.8.3 version and could contain outdated information. For 0.9 version, check out the External Guides below.
The following articles contain outdated information that does not apply to Foobar2000 v0.9:
Screenshot of foobar2000 v0.9 using the default user interface
|| Peter Pawlowski
| Release information
| Initial release
| Stable release
| Preview release
|| 0.9.4.3 beta
| Operating system
| Additional information
|| Media Player
|| Proprietary, BSD